Laptops are the most inseparable part of engineers & engineering students, that’s why no matter what types of engineering course you have taken, like- Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Petroleum and Mining Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering or anything, by doing enough research, we have gathered the best engineering laptops which will help you not only in your college but also in future life. For picking up the best laptops for engineering students, it’s essential to know well the entire specific recommendations of your course because depending on the particular fields or studies laptops can vary, like- if you are and electrical or computer engineering, you need a laptop which can deal with programming languages such as C++ & circuit simulators, but if you are a civil or mechanical engineering student, then you definitely need a powerful laptop dealing with CAD & CAE software. Here I’m giving some specific requirements that are needed for all types of engineering students-
● Intel Core i5
● Minimum RAM: 8GB but our recommendation is 16GB
● Minimum Storage: 256GB
● Display: 13 inches to 15.6 inches
● Battery Life: The higher the better, but must check that the laptop should have a system to backup 5hr.
● Avoid purchasing a laptop that doesn’t have SSD.
List of 10 Best Engineering Laptops 2020
- HP Spectre 13 x360
- Acer Aspire VX 15
- Dell Inspiron i5577-7359BLK-PUS
- Dell XPS 13 9360
- Surface Pro 7
- MacBook Pro 13-inch
- Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
- Lenovo ThinkPad E15
- Asus ZenBook 13 Ultra Slim
- Acer Predator Helios 300
10 Best Laptops For Engineering Students 2020 | Comparison Table
HP Spectre 13 x360
Display: 13” Display
Acer Aspire VX 15
Dell Inspiron i5577-7359BLK-PUS
Dell XPS 13 9360
Display: 13.0" Full HD
Surface Pro 7
Display: 12'' IPS
MacBook Pro 13-inch
Acer Aspire 5 Slim Laptop
Lenovo ThinkPad E15
Display: 15.6'' TN FHD
Asus ZenBook 13 Ultra Slim
Display: 13.0" full HD Anti-Glare
Acer Predator Helios 300
Display: 15.6'' IPS
Choose the best laptop for engineering students on a budget from bellow:
HP Spectre 13 x360 is an incredible laptop for engineering students who want style & power in one device, not only that it can deliver the best convertible laptop performance without compromising the ultralight & sleek design.
- Processor: Intel Core i7-1065G7
- RAM: 16G LPDDR4-3200
- Storage: 1TB SSD with 32GB Intel Memory
- Weight: 1.3 kg
Display & Design
The laptop is packed with unusual angles & the sides are embossed sharply, which gives an amazing bold look to the model.
● It’s an ultraslim laptop weighing in only 1.3kg with the Aluminum case in natural silver finish & 306x 194.5x 16.9mm dimensions. It has the most appealing look with a rigid structure that provides a feel similar to the MacBook to the consumer.
● The incredible screen makes HP Spectre 13 x360 more flexible & portable, which is organized with 4K BrightView micro-edge AMOLED, 400-nit brightness, Anti-reflection Corning Gorilla Glass.
● The glossy touchscreen is a very impressive part of this laptop, and the excellent reflection busting coating helps to cope with the direct sunlight very well.
HP Spectre 13 x360 has come with powerful Intel Core i7-1065G7, a robust 16GB LPDDR4-3200 RAM, and a fast 1TB SSD with 32GB Intel Optane Memory which makes the model incredible than others.
● The laptop has hefty internal storage & RAM, which helps you to do anything according to your wish, like- you can install more apps, keep open more tabs, and coding all day long.
● This model is not great for gaming because it has an Nvidia MX450 GPU, which is a low-end card, but you can play newer games only.
● It has an excellent high capacity battery life with a high charging speed about 50% in 30 mins, and it can be said that the LCD spectre lasts up to 16 hours 30 minutes of video playback and working with maximum brightness the battery life will last for five hours, that’s cool.
The connectivity is fairly good in HP Spectre 13 x360, which has two USB ports, a single full-size traditional USB, a 3.5mm headphone jack, a MicroSD slot, a security slider on the slide. All of these makes the model one of the best slim & light laptop ever with outstanding features that you can use in your engineering courses.
Acer Aspire VX15 is marvelous for computer engineering students, which is has a fast processor, a vast amount of RAM, long-lasting battery life, quite lightweight. The main point is that you need a highly powerful GPU for engineering-related tasks & this model is ideal for all of these.
- Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
- Display: 15.6 inches
- RAM: 16GB
- Storage: 256GB SSD
- Battery Life: 6 hours
Display & Design
The laptop’s design is furnished with a completely matte black profile cladding in a plastic chassis that provides a sturdy feel. It also has a gaming outlook inherited from the predator design, and all of these make the newest Acer Aspire VX15 looks so amazing.
● 1920-by-1080 LED-backlit IPS display, 720p webcam right above the display, a chiclet-style keyboard with a dedicated numeric keypad where W, A, S, D are painted with red accent and the rest keys are black & white colored with backlighting.
● Two red accents are available for this model, which are like fancy strikes on the cover and gives a premium look as the central hinge is toned with silver.
Suppose you want to perform impressive & productive tasks. In that case, Acer Aspire VX15 is ready with it’s Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad-Core Processor with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics & 4GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM which will help you to work multi-task smoothly.
● For video editing, running graphics simulations, drawing programs, this is the best laptop for engineering students ever because it has 16 GB of RAM that can handle huge calculations & simulations easily. If needed you can always upgrade it to 32GB, that’s really amazing.
● Working on multiple tabs, listening to music, copying stuff to another folder, reducing boot loading time everything will be a piece of cake because of having 256 GB solid-state drive that will make your laptop very quick & effortless.
● This laptop is prodigious as it takes only 49 seconds to copy 4.97GB of mixed media file, which is faster than average, needs 3 hours, and 39 seconds to pair 20k names & addresses in a spreadsheet. Still, the battery life is lower than others; you use this Acer model for 6 hours effortlessly.
This model can work in wireless Wi-Fi, have 4.1 Bluetooth version, and four USB ports, they are- 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0, 1x USB Type-C & 1x USB HDMI.
Dell Inspiron i5577-7359BLK-PUS is a stylish product with a superb outlook, which is a perfect fit for mechanical engineering students because it can fully handle most of the memory consuming computational software related to this course like- CAD software, Mathcad, VBA, Microsoft Excel, etc.
- Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 HQ
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 128GB SSD
- Battery Life: 7 hours
- Weight: 5.7 pounds
Display & Design
Dell Inspiron i5577 is a beautiful looking laptop furnished with a stunning red-black combination that feels premium.
● You will have a crafted pleasing design that comes in a black body with a red accent logo; the body is made of plastic with a soft finish on the lid, which provides a sturdy look and prevents it from feeling cheap, a whole this simple design is preferable to all.
● The laptop is relatively slim & light with a weight of 5.7 pounds & 15.6 inches display, which is easily portable for students. This model has come with all kinds of bells & whistles, 1280x 720 webcam by which you can chat with your friend though Skype with Max Audio Pro clear sound output.
This laptop is the prime choice for general productivity & multitasking work, and you don’t need to provide any excuse to complain of not finding more bang for your buck than the Inspiron i5577-7359BLK- PUS’s Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU, 8GB memory, 4GB Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 1050 at such reasonable price.
● It is equipped with ultra-fast 128GB solid-state drive, which will help reduce installation time for software, perform quick anti-virus scan, decrease boot time for windows, and have an additional 1TB 5400 RPM for sorting all your downloads files.
● At the time of coding, this model’s fantastic keyboard will provide you a great feeling as the keys make minimal noise when pressed.
● This Dell model will provide you about 7 hours & 38 minutes of battery life, which is really remarkable than other competitors, but the battery drains quickly while gaming.
When it comes to connectivity, the device aces all its competitors because of having three USB 3.0 ports, HDMI port, wireless Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2 adaptor, and an RJ-54 port.
Dell XPS 13 9360 is one of the best Windows UltraBook for engineering students which has a stylish look and compatible with most of the engineering-related courses.
- Processor: Intel Core i7-8550U
- RAM: 8GB RAM DDR3
- Storage: 256GB PCle SSD
- Battery Life: 11 hours
- Weight: 2.7 pounds
Display & Design
The laptop is mainly famous for having blazing quad-core speed, epic battery life, extremely lightweight, attractive design, and wide viewing angles.
● There are two colors available for this model, they are silver & rose gold, you can choose according to your wish and the sides, back hinge & deck are made of luxurious, soft-touch carbon fiber and the hinge that moves the lid is one of the strongest & tightest I’ve ever seen.
The laptop provides the most productive performance ever because of having Intel Core i7-8550U CPU, which makes the laptop significantly faster, not only that it has Dynamic Power Mode, which boosts performance even further by balancing system temperature with clock speeds.
● The 256 GB PCle solid-state drive and 8 GB RAM makes this version speedy for everyday uses, and you can open dozens of tabs together and switch between windows & websites easily.
● Not only that, but the device also took 3 minutes and 9 seconds to complete the spreadsheet macro test, which is 10 percent quicker than others and took just 9 seconds to copy 4.97 GB files at the rate of 608 MBps, that’s to perfect for completing huge tasks.
The device is organized with some most essential ports & connectors that are very useful for our daily life, like- this laptop has a USB 3.0 port, an SD Card Reader, a Noble Lock Slot, a 3.5mm audio jack, and a thunderbolt 3.0 port.
Surface Pro 7 is the best portable laptop ever that is very popular among electrical, chemical, computer & software engineering students. This laptop can run some complex software related to engineering courses, like- ANSYS, SolidWorks, Civil 3D, Revit, CATIA, and so more.
- Processor: Core i5-1035G4
- RAM: 4GB-16GB RAM
- Storage: 256 GB
- Battery Life: +11 hours
- Display: 12 inches IPS
- Weight: 1.7 pounds
Display & Design
Actually, the design has made this laptop do popular among students, and its lightweight makes then capable of carrying anywhere anytime, most importantly, it provides the most realistic note-taking feeling among all convertible laptops, and it has the best seamless combination with OneNote.
● The device has the sleek, formal-looking package along with the built-in kickstand and moving to the top we can notice the power button & volume rocker towards the left edge, it also has the 5-megapixel camera & dual far-fields studio mic and taking a closer look you can find an air vent on the device edges at the backside.
Surface Pro 7 offers impressive performance than others as the device is featured with the intel core i5-1035G4 with a quad-core CPU, 256 GB storage, 8GB RAM, and Intel Iris Plus Graphics.
● Because of huge storage, the student can run lots of apps or software, do web-browsing, watch videos on YouTube, and download files according to their wishes.
It’s a well-equipped laptop which is organized with some usable ports & connectors like- it has USB Type-A, USB Type-C, 3.5mm audio socket, Surface Type Cover Connectors, a hidden Micro-SD slot.
MacBook Pro is one of the best engineering laptops which has gained much popularity among mechanical, computer & civil engineering students as this laptop can run various complicated software flawlessly, like- SketchUp Pro, AutoCAD, SkyCiv, OnShape, SimScale and so more.
- Processor: 10th Gen Core i7
- RAM: 8GB
- Storage: 256 GB SSD to 4TB
- Display: 13 inches
- Battery Life: +10 hour
- Weight: 3.1 pounds
Display & Design
MacBook Pro looks not only good but also strong because of having a rock-solid bulletproof design which prevents the laptop from all kinds of physical damage; further, this device has much more features, like-
● The laptop has a magic keyboard which is best for typing experience, 13 inches retina display, a Touch bar & Touch ID, all-day battery life, immersive stereo speakers, an incredibly portable design that has made MacBook Pro favorite to all.
● It has a sleek aluminum unibody display in space gray or silver, weighing only 3 pounds it’s stunning retina display delivers more than 4 million pixels & millions of colors along with 500 nits of brightness.
This model now offers 10th generation Intel Core Processor with Turno Boost speeds of up to 4.1GHz, which provides 2.8 times faster performance, faster rendering & faster gameplay than previous not only that the new graphics enable users to connect to Pro Display XDR at full 6k resolution.
● You will experience a natural view at the time of designing or editing or doing everyday tasks like- web browsing, emailing and able to finish your works very quickly & swiftly as the keyboard gives a pillowy softness & works like a magic wand having 1mm of key travel that helps to find keys more fastly and provides a comfortable & stable key feel.
● This device has an impressive and long-lasting battery life, which has scored 10 hours & 21 minutes on the web surfing battery test. Still, the matter of sadness is that the quality of webcam is not so good, with 720p resolution that seems low according to the price.
The MacBook Pro 13 inches is highly equipped with the latest technologies, like- it has two thunderbolt ports on the left side of the system, on the right side there is a headphone jack, USB-A port, an SD card slot, and a microSD card slot.
Aspire 5 Slim Laptop is one of the best budget-conscious laptops targeted to the middle segment of engineering students, though it’s a cheap model, it has an elegant design, brilliant memory, has 2GB of GDDR5, and doesn’t overheat, that’s this version is preferable to all.
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 3200U 3.5GHz Dual Core
- RAM: 4GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage: 128 GB NVMe SSD
- Display: 15.6 inches full HD
- Battery Life: +7 hour
- Weight: 3.9 pounds
Display & Design
The laptop has the premium slim feel like MacBook Pro and provides full HD IPS display on a brilliant 15-inch monitor, best viewing angles & better color combination.
● The display is pretty good, and the bezel around the edge of the screen is minimalistic, helps to maximize your visual area.
● Furthermore, the device is furnished with fantastic features like, it has BlueLightShield, which helps to keep your eyes free stress occurred for a long time staring at the screen, it also has Color Intelligence which is the software behind the screen helps to produce great display.
● The device has a stylish black look with a classic trackpad, a front-facing camera eyehole, most amazingly, the laptop is incredibly thin don’t overheat at all.
If you have constraint budget and want a solid productive performance from your laptop, then this device will be the best choice as it is the base model, featuring an AMD Ryzen 3 3200U processor, 4GB DDR4 RAM, 128 GB NVMe solid-state drive, integrated AMD Vega 3 Graphics Card, and Windows 10 in S mode.
● This version offers a lightweight full Windows 10 experience and gives you the flexibility to do the most tasks over the limitations of Chrome; further, you can 3.5GHz AMD Ryzen processor for web browsing, video streaming, word processing, and for other productive tasks related to your engineering course.
● The 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD are bit tight for storage, you can update them later with a large capacity to 8GB if necessary, but you will have an excellent battery life with the notebook lasting over than 7 hours on a single charge, but there are some limitations like- if you are a 3D engineer and plan to use this laptop for 3D CAD projects then you’ll definitely face problem at the time of using viewport.
This laptop has excellent connectivity, equipped with various ports like- power connectors, full-size Gigabit Ethernet & HDMI ports, two USB 3.1 ports, two USB 2.0 ports, and 3.5mm audio jack.
Lenovo ThinkPad E15 is one of the best laptops of engineering students, especially for computer, electrical, chemical & software engineers; in fact, you can notice this laptop on your department’s website as a recommended one because this is the pretty durable brand with a good reputation.
- Processor: Intel Core i5-10120U 4.2 GHz
- RAM: 32 GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage: 128 GB SSD 1TB
- Display: 15.6 inches TN FHD
- Battery Life: 10 hours
- Weight: 4.3 pounds
Display & Design
Lenovo has updated a pretty well version by reducing the device’s profile & weight, which measures only 4.3 pounds that is easily portable for the engineering student.
● However, the laptop is made of plastic while the lid is aluminum, not only that there is a camera with a privacy shutter housed in the top bezel, and the sides are thin enough to look fresh like an updated version.
● There is a dedicated button on the touchpad and a quick & accurate fingerprint reader embedded in the power button, a pretty substantial ventilation grill, and a pair of speaker cutouts.
The model is famous for its long durability, top-notch keyboards, rock-solid builds & extended battery life. Where you can convert the space to a much better RAM, SSD size & clock speed according to your need not only that you can upgrade the processor to a 10th Generation Core i7 ones, but unfortunately, none of their models have a dedicated graphics card, that’s why this model is quite limited for 2D engineering students.
The connectivity of this laptop is better than others like- it has a USB 3.1 Type-C port, three USB 3.0 Type-A port, a USB 2.0 Type-A port, Audio jack or microphone jack connector, HDMI 1.4b, have Ethernet LAN, 5.0 version Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi 802.11ac.
Asus ZenBook 13 Ultra Slim is one of the best budget laptops for engineering students, and this laptop can use not only the computer, chemical, & electrical engineering student but also the civil, mechanical & aeronautical engineering students can also use this laptop for everyday uses flawlessly because despite being powerful the laptop very portable and affordable too.
- Processor: Intel Core i5-8265U 3.9 GHz
- RAM: 8 GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage: 512 GB PCle NVMe
- Display: 13 inches full HD Anti-Glare
- Battery Life: 11 hours
- Weight: 2.6 pounds
Display & Design
This version has an excellent matte finish by which you won’t feel stressed to look at the screen for a long hour.
● The device is equipped with some fantastic features like a backlit keyboard, aluminum chassis, a useful webcam, and most importantly, the weight & thinness will give you a feel like MacBook Air.
We know that Surface models & Dell XPS 13 models are so expensive for some people, but you can have a productive laptop according to your pocket with excellent performance, and that is Asus ZenBook 13 Ultra Slim laptop.
● The laptop has Core i5, 8GB RAM & 512 GB internal storage, which will make your laptop superbly fast and provide amazing battery life by which you will be able to perform lots of works all day long and download huge files, app, software according to your wish.
● This version of ZenBook has come with the latest & fastest SSD jammed into just like any premium laptop that means the laptop will turn off or on in literally 3 second flat & launch software in a blink.
The connectivity of this laptop will help you work more efficiently, swiftly & connect with other laptops & devices, and it has three USB ports, 2x Thunderbolt 3, HDMI port, Multi Card Slot, Headphone & Mic Combo Jack port.
Acer Predator Helios 300 is an excellent laptop for its gaming performance, durable designs, 144Hz display which is packed with the latest Nvidia GPU and intel into an exciting case that provides promisingly strong productive performance that’s why it’s one of the best engineering laptops ever. It is famous among computer, chemical, software, electrical, & mechanical engineering students, and in some cases, aeronautical engineering students can use it too.
- Processor: Intel Core i7-9750h
- RAM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM
- Storage: 256 GB SSD
- Display: 15.6 inches IPS
- Battery Life: 5 hours
- Weight: 5.7 pounds
Display & Design
The laptop is furnished with amazing black design along with sprinkled blue accents here & there, which provides a typical gaming outlook, not only that the lid is a brushed hard plastic with a Predator logo & two vertical lines that are not illuminated.
● At the bottom, there are two removable pop-out lids joined with a tiny screw that you can use if needed.
● The 15.6 inches has a native resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels which has a matte finish so that you can use it comfortably even in the bright lighting condition and for being an IPS panel, it is viewable from any angles, and it’s very important when many people are viewing the screen from many corners.
This updated version of Asus has become very preferable among students for it’s fast Intel Core i7-9750H processor, huge internal storage with 256GB solid-state drive & powerful RAM of 16GB and the main item of interest is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 TI GPU, the latest release in the graphics lineup.
● The storage option helps to speed up the system and store most of the games & files; for general productivity, it trickles down to the inclusion of the six-core processor & GTX 1660, which is a potent combination for media creation & stable gaming at 1080p.
● Its graphics performance is impressive too which has modern AAA gameplay at 1080p resolution & impressive frame rate; that’s why it’s clear that with an onboard 1080p display, the iteration of Predator Helios 300 is a reliable gaming laptop.
● The laptop has a prodigious battery life by which you can work all day long and do video streaming as long as you want, at one charge it can run five hours and 12 minutes flawlessly but if you have a plan for a longer session, then you need to the power outlet and work again.
● The chiclet-style keyboard will let you work flawlessly, which comes with a dedicated numeric keypad that is very spacious with a large palm rest area. The WASD is painted with a blue accent & the rest keys are painted with black and- white with backlighting; most importantly, the keys are so comfortable that you can work for a long time without being bored.
Though the laptop is quite heavy for carrying for a student all day long, the device is equipped with the latest technologies and has some useful ports like- it has Type C USB port, three USB 3.1 ports one with power-off charging, an HDMI port, a mini display port, and headphone jack.